So with the refresh of Anivision (yet again) Steev has been badgering me to get posts up, regardless of their relevance to anything. When put on that kind of spot, it’s best to fall back on the most tried and true of all filler articles: THE TOP FIVE LIST! That’s right, there’s little better in this world that reading arbitrary, self pleasing lists and then arguing why that person is wrong. This time around, it’s going to be of my personal favorite girls of the current anime season. So what criteria am I going by here? In part it’s how much I like these characters in their respective shows and whatnot, but it’s mostly about which ones I find the cutest and/or hottest. Without further ado, let’s get this started with number 5 on the list:
5. Haqua du Lot Herminium – The World God Only Knows 2 (Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai 2)As I’ve said before on the podcast, I so enjoyed the first season of The World God Only Knows that I was compelled to read the manga and quickly caught up to what had (at the time) been released. Haqua who appeared shortly after S1 left off instantly became one of my favorite characters in the series. She has a lot going for her. For one she’s a prominent recurring character in a show that’s all about the protagonist going after a different girl every arc. Her association with Elsie and her knowledge of the demon world also helped to advance the plot, and while not a target for capture herself, Keima still managed to make her fall for him, she just won’t admit it. All that said, I just think she strikes a balance of cute and sexy and makes a great addition to the cast of an already great manga/anime.
4. Mercelida Ygvar – Lotte’s Toy (Astarotte no Omocha)While Lotte’s toy is most certainly a loli fan service anime, it’s also a very sweet show that has it’s fare share of mother/daughter tender moments. Oh, did I mention that Lotte’s mother, Mercelida is smoking HOT. As she should be considering she’s the Succubus Queen. It’s a shame this show hadn’t really gotten on my radar when we talked about our top MILFs on the podcast since Mercelida would most certainly have placed. Also, anyone that has seen the show will know what I’m talking about when I say I wish I could have run into her when I was thirteen years old.
3. Yukiko-Hime – Dororon Enma-kun *mera mera*Yukiko makes it onto the list for a few reasons. First and foremost I have to make special mention of her voice. Oh the sweet sound of Mamiko Noto’s voice is pretty much an instant boner. Moving onto Yukiko herself, her character design has a classic old school charm to it that mixes cuteness and sexiness. Let’s not forget a very important fact about Yukiko: she’s going commando at ALL times, and with an extra short kimono that emphasizes her legs…well, you catch my drift. She’s ice cold, and yet so very damn hot at the same time. While her main role in the series is to fill out the fan service requirement, she can most certainly hold her own in a fight when necessary with her ice powers.
2. Touwa Erio and Touwa Meme – EM Wave Woman and Youthful Man (Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko)Ok, so I’m cheating here by having a tie for second place, but when a mother/daughter team are this great, you can’t help but want them both. Now, I don’t have the main character’s reservations about his drop dead gorgeous aunt that he seems to. Age isn’t the question here. Meme and Erio are like two different sides of a coin. While they share a similarity in appearance, Erio exemplifies an innocent cuteness while Meme exudes an experienced sexiness. It makes for a serious combo, and it helps that Shaft hasn’t held back to make damn sure you notice. There’s most certainly an otherworldly air about Erio that while they make it clear she’s human, you can’t help but wonder, and underneath Meme’s bubbly exterior there seems to be a deeper more serious side hidden just from view. So yeah, two fine characters, one spot. Shut up, it’s my list.
1. Anjou Naruko – We Still Don’t Know the Name of the Flower We Saw That Day (AnoHana)And finally we arrive at my number one pick, which shouldn’t be a surprise if you listen to our show: Anjou Naruko. Rather unfortunately, or fortunately if you’re into it, nicknamed Anaru, she’s managed to sexily make her way to the top. What exactly is it about Anaru that’s made me like her so much? It’s hard to pinpoint, but her looks are certainly a part of it. AnoHana isn’t a fanservicey kind of show like Lotte’s Toy or Enma-kun. Its bread and butter are its characters. The show makes you feel for them by injecting some real emotion into the drama. So when she’s feeling grief over the loss of Menma so many years ago, a girl that she strove to emulate and imitate, when she confronts a past friend, when she can’t quite be honest about her feeling for Jinta, and when she’s honestly having fun being herself, you really feel it. You get the feeling that the girl she pretends to be by dressing the way she does and hanging with the friends she does cover up who she really is on the inside and how she was able to freely be when she was a kid. It’s the strength of the show and the cast that makes her stand out. All in all, let me just be honest here. She’s hot. There’s not much more to it than that.